May 16, 2013

Week 20 – Snack Attack


Printable Version of Meal Plan and Grocery List

Last weekend was Mother’s Day so I wanted to get groceries on Saturday instead of my typical Sunday morning routine.  Since I had to put the plan together faster than normal I ended up just pulling some ideas from my head.  The result wasn’t too bad… some good eats this week!  And for some reason we had an abundance of snacks to choose from.  I must have been feeling snacky when I made the plan.  Snacks are something I find I can get in a rut with so I've added some to the Recipe Quick Links section and have highlighted one of our favorites!

Recipe Quick Links



Snack Spotlight - Apple Sandwiches


This has become a favorite over the last few weeks.  The spread is almond butter, maple syrup and shredded coconut.  It stacks and packs well for lunch boxes and is super delicious!  I use an apple corer to core the apple first.  Then I slice into 4 or 6 slices depending on the size of the apple to make 2 or 3 "sandwiches".  Reassemble the apple and wrap.


Week in Review

Monday

Lunch – 7 Grain Orange Pilaf.  I stumbled on this one on Pinterest last week so it was fresh in my mind.  It was really good.  A bit of a twist on our typical Greek Quinoa.  I used a combination of Quinoa and Bulgar.  Will definitely make this again.

Supper – BBQ Chicken & Kale Caesar.  We enjoyed our grilled chicken salad so much last week that chicken and salad made it back on the menu.  Just a basic grilled chicken breast and my homemade Caesar dressing with kale and grated parmesan.  Dave and I agree that Caesar works better with kale rather than romaine.  Yummy and easy!

Caesar Dressing – mix well 1cup of mayonnaise,  2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, 1 Tbsp Lemon juice, 1 clove garlic (minced) and just a little milk.  The milk is to thin it out and give it the consistency you want, so base amount on preference.  I scale this recipe back depending on the size of salad we’re having

Tuesday

Lunch -- Leftover 7 Grain Pilaf.   I made enough pilaf for two days.  Just as good the second time.  I added the nuts just before eating.

Supper – Brown Butter Haddock and Sautéed Zucchini and Mushrooms.  I declared my love for brown butter the last time I made it… it’s been too long.  Welcome back to the plan Brown Butter, welcome back.  I just pan fried the fish and sauteed the veggies in a little oil and garlic.  I drizzled the brown butter over everything.  yum.

Wednesday

Lunch – Tuna Salad on Crackers with Veggies and Dip.  This is a go to lunch, quick to throw together and I almost always have everything on hand.  I used sour cream mixed with ranch dressing seasoning for Dave and Mango Curry seasoning from Epicure for me.  My tuna salad was basic - can of tuna, spoonful of mayo, squeeze of lemon and dash of dill.

Supper -- Hamburgers on Portobello "Buns" with Grilled Veggies, Kale and Aioli.  This recipe was straight from my head and I was pretty proud of it.  Isn't it pretty?? 


The hamburger was simply ground beef, egg, salt & pepper and breadcrumbs.  The mushroom caps, red pepper and red onion were brushed with olive oil and grilled on the BBQ.  I made an aioli with mayo, lemon juice and garlic.  We topped each burger with mozza and feta at the end, letting the cheese melt.  Then we assembled... Portobello "bun", aioli, kale, burger and grilled veggies.   I love BBQ season!


Thursday

Breakfast -- Yogurt Parfait with Granola.  I had to mention this one because it was a really satisfying breakfast and I actually packed it the night before for a grab and go.   I made the granola coin recipe but used coconut oil, shredded coconut and flax and didn't form it into coins.  Just tossed it on a baking stone and baked it longer than recommended to make a crunchy granola. 

Lunch -- Pita Pizza.  I topped pita with pizza sauce, leftover hamburger and grilled veggies, olives, feta and mozza.  Totally did the trick.  I love reinventing leftovers.

Supper -- Nachos with Refried Beans (from the freezer).  I told Marin we were having her favorite supper and she said "Yay!  Nachos!"  Then Dave came home and said "Yay!  Nachos!"


Friday

Lunch -- We still have some leftover beans to use up so the plan is bean, avocado and cheese quesadillas using pita instead of tortilla. 

Supper -- We're going to be on the road so I'm packing ham & cheese sandwiches on Kaisers with some veggies and dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment