May 24, 2013

Week 21 - Breakfast To Go

Printable Version of Meal Plan & Grocery List

Marin's gotten into the habit of crawling in bed with us most nights.  She just brings her pillow and blanket and climbs in and we're typically too tired to do anything about it.  But it always results in a restless sleep and inevitably an extra snooze and me inhaling breakfast so I can run out the door to catch the bus.  So I decided to try some breakfast on the go options this week.  It was a nice change.  I typically have half an hour alone in my office before my office mates start to arrive so it was kind of peaceful nibbling my breakfast and sipping my coffee. 

Recipe Quick Links

Chickpeas & PB, Oh She Glows
Slow Cooker Deli Chicken, 100 Days of Real Food
Avocado Corn Salad, Sobey's Inspired
PB & Fruit Breakfast Wraps, Food.com
Almond Milk, Oh She Glows
Green Monster Smoothie, Oh She Glows

It wasn't intentional to have so many Oh She Glows recipes in one week, but it's a great blog - you should check it out!


Week in Review

Tuesday

Love Crunch Granola
Breakfast - Yogurt Parfait.  I layered frozen raspberries and blueberries with plain greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey.  I packed some chocolate granola in a separate container so it wouldn’t get soggy.  It was a pretty big helping and I found it kept me going most of the morning.  I assembled in the morning and the berries were still a little on the chilly side so I would recommend using fresh fruit and/or assembling the night before.  This is granola the I picked up this week... huge hit!
LunchChickpeas with PB and Maple Syrup on Pita.  This was one of the first recipes I added to the favorites list but haven’t actually made yet this year.  This sounds a bit odd but I promise you, it’s actually pretty tasty.  But what I really love about this recipe is that its super easy and uses ingredients I almost always have on hand.  So at 10pm when I’m laying on the couch being tempted to skip making lunches this recipe will come to mind and I think ‘surely I can get my butt into the kitchen for 5 minutes to pull this off’.  I like it with pita or lettuce.
SupperHaddock and Vegetable Parchment Packets.  I have been seeing recipes for fish baked in Parchment parcels for ages and have always been tempted to try this method of cooking.  Finally, I did!  And we were pretty impressed.  Best part – super easy cleanup!  I didn’t actually follow a recipe but referred to a few to get an idea of how long to cook and at what temperature.  So this is what I did:
Haddock and Vegetable Parchment Parcels
I filled each parchment parcel with
o   1 Tbsp Butter
o   Slices of Zucchini
o   Haddock Fillet
o   Strips of Red and Yellow Peppers
o   Salt & Pepper
o   Drizzle of lemon juice

Fold it up (I just made up my own method of folding, but this might work better - How to Steam Fish in Parchment), place on a baking sheet and bake at 425F until done.  Time will depend on thickness of fish.  Mine were <1" and done in 15 minutes.  I served this with boiled potatoes but rice would be good too.  Marin gobbled this up – fish first!  Kid approved!

Wednesday

BreakfastEgg “Mac” Muffin (can I call it that??)  Tuesday night I made a couple of egg sandwiches.  Fried egg on an english muffin (toasted and buttered) with cheddar cheese.  I wrapped those puppies in parchment paper and they were ready to go in the morning.  I warmed mine up in the microwave when I got to work and it was perfect.  I think the parchment made it feel like take-out.  I would totally do this again.  Would be great for an early morning road trip.


A Stack of Egg "Mac's"


Egg "Mac" & Cafe at my desk

Lunch Rice Salad with Soy Dressing.  I don’t know the original source of this recipe – I requested it after eating it at a gathering and love it for lunch.  I always make enough for two days.  We love the soy dressing.
Rice Salad with Soy Dressing
Dressing - 1/4 cup Soya Sauce, 1/4 cup Oil, 2 cloves of garlic minced.  Mix well. 
Make ahead - 1 p
epper (any color, diced), 3 stalks celery (diced), 2 green onion (chopped), 1 cup mushrooms (sliced), 1/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins, 2 cups brown rice (cooked).  Mix all ingredients with dressing.

Add Spinach and Cashews before eating.  I add the spinach the night before when I'm packing lunches and the cashews just before eating.

SupperWhole Chicken in the Slow Cooker with Avocado Corn Salad.  Yum and yum.   I love this chicken recipe – definitely a slow cooker gem!  You don’t add any liquid so it doesn’t come out like the typical slow-cooker ‘stew’.  I use foil balls instead of onion, as the recipe suggests.  The meat is moist and falls right off the bone – so good!  The corn salad is one I found in the Sobey’s Inspired Magazine a couple of years ago and has become a summer go-to recipe.  I’ve served it at a couple of gatherings and it’s always been a hit.  It’s better with grilled corn and fresh cilantro but this week I made it with frozen corn and frozen cilantro cubes and it was still darn tasty.

Thursday

BreakfastPB & Fruit Breakfast Wraps.  I’ve had this on the menu before but typically make it on flat wraps with oatmeal.  This time I used Pita and chocolate granola.  OMG… so good!  I also use real strawberries in place of the jam in this recipe.  I assembled it before heading out the door and the pita was a tad soggy in a couple of places but nothing major.  I find wraps easier to handle so if you’re going to be eating this in the car or literally on the run I would suggest a wrap, but I typically prefer pita to tortillas.  Mmm, mmm, mmmm….


PB & Fruit Breakfast Pita with Almond Milk
 
LunchLeftover Rice Salad.  This is great on day two but I would definately suggest not adding the spinach and nuts right away, otherwise you may have soggy greens and stale nuts - yuck.
SupperTofu Stir-fry with Asian Sesame Dressing.  This is a super simple and quick supper.  Nothing too special but some nights you just want something easy and that’s enough…  know what I mean?  I just dice and fry the tofu in a little sesame oil until it starts to brown.  Then I add in a bag of frozen Asian style veggies and continue to stir-fry until the veggies are heated through.  Pour the dressing over and serve.  We had it on its own but you could serve it with rice or rice noodles.  I used the dipping sauce from the panko tofu recipe and a spoonful of peanut butter as the sauce.

Friday

Breakfast - Oatmeal Smoothie & Muffin.  The great thing about smoothies is that pretty much anything goes.  I debated if I wanted a refreshing fruity smoothie or more of a hearty nutty smoothie.  I ended up making the Classic Green Monster from Oh She Glows but I skipped the protein powder (I always do) and added oatmeal and some milk at the end to thin it out a bit.  I also grabbed a Very Berry Muffin from the freezer.
Lunch - Mango Curry Chicken Salad on Pita.  I made a chicken salad with the leftover slow-cooker chicken.  I mixed mayo and plain yogurt with Epicure Mango Curry seasoning and added in some celery and apple.  We had it on pita (packed separately) with some raw veggies on the side.
Supper - Poutine.  Few things in life make me happier than Poutine.  For those of you who aren't familiar with this delicacy it's french fries, cheese and gravy.  Not the healthiest thing on the menu but I feel the joy it brings me is probably good for my heart.  And I'll wash it down with a glass of red wine - that's good for me too right??  My version is a bag of frozen fries (baked), topped with shredded mozza and baked a few more minutes (I like the cheese to melt and crisp up a bit) and then topped with hot poutine sauce.  You can actually buy poutine sauce in the gravy section at some grocery stores.  If you can't find it, your favorite gravy will do.  This is Convenience Food Friday at its best!
And if you're in Halifax a must have is the Lobster Poutine at Cut Grill.  You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment